Jerk Chicken and Paste
This rub is especially delicious on bone-in chicken but can be used with bone-out chicken as well. It can be served with a mango salsa or yoghurt sauce to cool the spice, or even simply with slices of avocado.
For the Jerk Paste
- 14 whole cloves or ½ tsp ground
- 4 tap allspice
- 2 medium onions cut in half
- 4 green onions white and green parts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 scotch bonnet chilies cores, seeds, and ribs removed, or another kind of hot fresh chili
- ½ tsp round nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ inch piece fresh ginger washed (but not peeled), sliced
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 chickens bone in skin on, cut in ⅛ths (or the equivalent of 6 pounds of chicken, I use only thighs and legs)
For the Chicken
Mix about half of the paste (save the rest of the paste, refrigerated for up to 3 weeks) with the vegetable oil in a bowl, rub the paste all over the chicken even under the skin. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile heat the grill to high. When the grill is hot, make a multilevel fire but leaving the back side of the grill on high and the rest on med-low. Place the chicken on the cooler part of the gill skin side up and close the cover of the grill. Cook about 20 minutes on the first side and then 15-20 minutes on the skin side. Move the chicken around a little so that all the pieces cook evenly.
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.