No products in the cart.
There is nothing more comforting than a piping hot caramelized banana with crispy burnt sugar edges.
This simple recipe is perfect as a decadent breakfast or delicious dessert.
I have written this recipe for a generous one-person serving or, if you are very nice and want to share, you can use two forks and dig in. Feel free to scale this recipe up for more people – just make sure you use a larger fry pan. The 8-10 inch pan fits two halves of a banana perfectly but would be too small for any additional banana halves.
You can make this recipe without any nuts and simply toast the oats alone in the luscious browned butter. If you are using the nuts, chop or break them up them by placing them in a zip-top bag and smashing them or roll them with a rolling pin or the bottom of a can.
I have used store bought, thick labneh here, but Greek yoghurt would be a perfect substitute. Also, depending on my mood, I will sometimes drizzle tahini on top at the end or else I will just use the honey topping only. You be your own boss!
Caramelized Banana with Pistachio Brown Butter Granola, Labneh and Tahini
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp. large flaked oats
- 2 tbsp. shelled pistachios, chopped finely (see note above)
- ¼ -⅓ cup labneh or Greek yoghurt
- Drizzle of honey
- Drizzle of tahini, optional
- Flaked sea salt (I like Maldon)
- Slice the banana in half in length.
- Schmear the labneh or yoghurt on a plate, leaving a good chunk of it in a pile on one side (see photo).
- In an 8-10-in fry pan, melt butter over medium heat. When the butter melts add the oil and cook the butter until it is very fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the sugar and pinch of kosher salt over the butter and let bubble for a minute or so.
- Lay the banana halves flat on the pan and lower the heat to medium-low and cook for about 4-5 minutes. While the banana is cooking, spoon some of the hot sugary butter over the tops of the banana. Cook until the edges have caramelized and become crispy. The butter will start to brown and turn a darker colour. Remove the banana to the plate with the labneh or yoghurt. Place the banana slices cut side up on top of the schmeared labneh or yoghurt.
- Add the oats and most of the ground pistachios to the remaining butter in the pan and toss until the oats have toasted and browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture over the caramelized banana. Sprinkle the remaining pistachios.
- Drizzle the honey over the labneh or yoghurt and if using, drizzle the tahini over everything on the plate. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaked sea salt.
- Dig in; I know you want to!