No products in the cart.
This is one of my favourite meals to make during the week. It is really easy and comes together in less than 30 minutes. This herb mixture will last a week in your fridge. I will make a double batch and use it twice in 1 week period.
The black rice is so delicious, it had a nutty taste and a chewy texture. Putting it into the pan after the fish is cooked allows all the flavours to come together really well.
Black rice, also called Forbidden Rice, or Black Sweet Glutinous Rice (although there is no gluten in it) is amongst the healthiest variety of rice around. It is rich in antioxidants, in fact, it has the highest level of anthocyanin antioxidants of any food. It is high in fiber, iron, and protein. Black rice has the highest amount of antioxidants of any rice variety.
Cast Iron Herb Crusted Salmon Fillets with Baby Greens
For the Rice
- 1 cup black forbiden rice cooked according to a rice cooker or package instructions, keep warm. You can use brown or white rice as well.
- 2 salmon fillets, arctic char, or trout fillets
- A Handful of cherry tomatoes washed optional
For the Herb Mixture
¼ cup CHOPPED fresh herbs: use a rough measurement BEFORE CHOPPING of:
- ¼ cup packed flat leaf parsley
- 10 chives
- 4 basil leaves
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme leaves only
- 2-3 sage leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon do this on a fine blade zester
- 1½ tsp coarse sea salt Maldon or Adriatic
- 1 clove garlic chopped finely
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the Salad
- 4 handfuls of Maché lettuce any baby greens or arugula
- 2 tbsp raisins or currants
- 2 baby cucumbers sliced in long diagonals
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp stone ground mustard or Dijon
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Take the fish out of the fridge for as long as 1 hr before cooking (if you have the time). Preheat oven to 300˚F.
- Soak your raisins or currants while you are getting everything else ready.
- Make your Herb Mixture by chopping and mixing everything together.
- Rub the herb mixture all over the fish.
- Preheat a cast iron or large fry pan over medium-high heat for at least 10 minutes.
- Put the oil in the pan, when the oil is shimmering, add the seasoned fish, flesh side down and the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Flip the fish, toss the tomatoes around a little and place the pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
Prepare the salad.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Place the greens, cucumber and soaked raisins/currants in the bowl with the dressing, toss.
- Remove the fish from the oven, slide the fish to one side of the pan and place the hot rice in the pan with the fish and all the juices. Add the mixed salad and serve immediately.