No products in the cart.
It’s the beginning of January and time to lighten it up a little. I could be projecting but I feel like I am a squirrel in hibernation after two weeks of holiday indulging. In any case, I will try to make January a little lighter, cleaner, drier and more (not all) plant-based.
I’m starting off with this recipe because it is super healthy, great as a leftover lunch and all around makes me feel like I am taking care of myself… does that make sense?
Sweet potatoes taste the best when slowly cooked in the oven as opposed to a fast microwave cook. I realize that it is a pain in the #$% and that is why I make a bunch at the same time and freeze them cooked, after the end of Step 1 in the directions. Just defrost them in the fridge overnight, cut it open and reheat it in the oven, or carry on with Step 2 in the directions.
Chicken and Chickpea Loaded Sweet Potato
- 2 sweet potatoes
Chicken Chickpea Mixture
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3-4 brown mushrooms stems removed and caps chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ pound minced chicken
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 green onion chopped finely
- ½ cup canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. minced parsley or cilantro optional
- Heat oven to 400˚F. Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes, place on a cookie sheet and bake for 60-75 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from the oven.
- Cut in half in the length, scoop out about 2 tbsp. of the flesh from each side, reserve this extra sweet potato flesh. Place back in the oven for another 15 minutes or so. This step can be done a day in advance.
In the meantime, make the Chicken Chickpea Mixture.
- In a large fry pan over medium high heat, add oil. Add the cumin, and chili powder.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and sauté until browned, shrunken and dried out, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the minced chicken and sauté until browned and opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage, shredded carrot, green onion. Sauté until the cabbage and carrot have wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and reserved sweet potato, stir through the chicken mixture.
- Taste for salt and pepper, adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Distribute the cooked mixture into each sweet potato half. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or cilantro if desired. Serve.