No products in the cart.
Making yogurt at home is easy! This is a dairy free and sugar free vanilla yogurt. It is delicious served with Grain-NO-la (grain free granola), DeliciousDish, Raspberry Chia Jam, DeliciousDish, Blueberry Avocado Mix for Yogurt, DeliciousDish and even a spoon full of almond butter. Inspired by minamalist baker…thank you! (btw, the Chia Jam, Grain-NO-la and Blueberry Avocado Mix recipes are all coming soon, check back on Friday!
Homemade Probiotic Yoghurt
- 1 400 mL can full fat milk or coconut cream coconut (see note)
- 2 50-billion count pro-biotic capsule, I like these
- 2 tsp. honey or coconut sugar, optional
- ½ of a vanilla bean, optional, split down the center with a knife and seeds scooped out with the back of a knife.
- Place the contents of the can of coconut milk on a 500 ml mason jar (or something similar in size), whisk to make the coconut milk smooth and uniform.
- Open the probiotic capsules by pinching on both ends and tugging gently, and empty contents into the coconut milk in the mason jar, stir, USING A WOODEN OR PLASTIC SPOON, metal will react negatively with the probiotic.
- Cover with a paper towel or cheese cloth, place an elastic band around the mouth of the jar and leave on the counter at room temp (warm if possible, I will put it in my oven with the light on, see photo. Just make sure you put a note to yourself not to turn the oven on by accident!) for 24-48 hours. The coconut milk will start to ferment making yogurt, it will thicken. It will also separate, that’s ok! Just stir it together before refrigerating it.
- When yogurt is thick and creamy, add the honey or coconut sugar and seeds from the vanilla bean, stir. Replace the paper towel with a lid and refrigerate.
Not all cans of coconut milk are the same, some are really thick and some a lot thinner. Shake the can before you buy it. If it seems liquidly try another brand, it should not shake easily. If I want a really rich texture, I use coconut cream. I have had the most success from this brand.