No products in the cart.
This stir fry classic is so easy to make at home. The curried noodles are loaded with Napa cabbage and carrot. Feel free add other cooked vegetables and proteins as well. In this photo I’ve used rice vermicelli noodles, which I soak in boiling water for 3-4 minutes and then drain. But I often make this dish with chow mein noodles, cellophane noodles or sweet potato noodles, sometimes called Japchae noodles. Whichever noodle you choose, just make sure you undercook them a little before adding them to the stir fry.
And for a fun presentation – try putting it in take-out boxes! Yum!
Singapore Style Take-Out Noodles with Napa and Carrot
- 1 package of Bean Thread noodles – vermicelli, sweet potato noodles or chow mien noodles
- ⅓ cup grapeseed or sunflower oil, separated
- 1 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- ½ cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin half-moons
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 shallots, sliced into thin half-moons
- 2 Tbs. water
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- ¼ -½ Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 3 green onions, sliced in rounds
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 cups extra firm tofu, left-over chicken, cooked shrimp
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup cauliflower florets
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- Hot sauce such as sambal oelek
- To prepare sweet potato noodles, cook them in boiling salted water for around 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Then drain and rinse under cold water before using. To prepare chow mien noodles, follow cooking instructions. For rice vermicelli, pour boiling water over noodles in a large bowl and let soak for 3-4 minutes, drain.
- In a medium sauté pan or wok, heat 2 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat. Add curry powder, turmeric, salt, and hot sauce, cook until fragrant, 1-2 mins. Slowly add the vegetable stock, stir to combine. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a wok or large sauté pan, heat 2-3 Tbs. of the oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and shallots, and sauté until just wilted. At this point add broccoli or cauliflower if using. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 Tbs. water, add the carrots and cabbage and cook until the vegetables have softened but are still crispy.
- Make a well in the bottom of the wok. Pour 1 Tbs. of the oil into centre of the well and add eggs. Allow to set slightly, then scramble, and incorporate into other ingredients.
- Add cooked noodles and curry-turmeric mixture to wok. Mix thoroughly to combine. Cook to heat through.
- Add cooked chicken or shrimp is using.
- Stir in sliced green onions. Add desired amount of hot sauce and cilantro if using.
- If adding tofu, slice thinly and add to the sauté pan which had the curry mixture. Cook until heated through and add to noodles.